Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Makeup from Instagram: Halo Eye Look

For someone who talks about beauty all the time, I am very unadventurous when it comes to looks. I do not believe I have the ability to do fancy looks but last month I found myself being a little bit more challenged. During February I made an attempt to take part in a Beauty Photo Challenge over on my Instagram, SophaaRambles, and some of the days I tried to create different makeup looks which isn't something I normally do.


The third day of the challenge was Halo and automatically the thought of doing a halo eye look sprang to mind. The problem was, I had no idea how to create one. What do you do when you don't know how to create an eye look? You go to Youtube of course and that was exactly what I did. I searched Halo Eye Look expecting tonnes of Youtubers I had heard of to come up but not that many people did. In the end I based the look on an old Jaclyn Hill video that had come up in my search. However I changed the palette, all I needed from the video was the fundamental basics of how to create the look.

Jaclyn used an old Anastasia Beverly Hills Palette, which of course I do not have, so instead I went for one of my newer palettes: the Huda Beauty Rose Gold Remastered Palette. I absolutely adore this palette and I have always felt like I should be more adventurous with it as it is such a pretty palette but I never knew how.

In the back of my mind, I knew I needed to eventually get the halo eye look down to be able to take the Instagram picture; so on a quiet snow day in February, I decided it was time to give the halo eye a go. If you've seen my Instagram post about the look, you will know I was really happy with how it turned out. Today I thought I would share with you how I created the whole look, including the products I used on: my eyes, base, lips and brows. I'll go in the exact order that I applied the products because I feel like this might be the best way when it comes to a halo eye.

Eye Lids

In a normal makeup look, I often start with my base because I never do anything crazy on my eyes but as I knew there were going to be some darker shades involved I thought it would be best to do my eye lids first. That way, if there was any fall out I would be able to clean it up without ruining my base. I didn't really know the best way to prime my lids as usually I just use a cream eye shadow, job done but I didn't want to use anything with a colour so I resorted to using the Shadow Insurance from Too Faced. I've had this for a while and I never really use it but it seemed to work fine and it helped to hold my shadow. The important thing was that it didn't have any colour.

Following the primer, I then started to build my eye look. For most of the eye look I used the Huda Beauty Palette but for me the palette is missing one shade, a light transition shade. As someone super pale there is nothing light enough for me to start the look, so I got out my Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Reinassance Palette and I used Golden Ochre all over the lid, just to set the primer and to make a base for the look. I only used a tiny amount and I made sure to blend it out to basically nothing. Everything else in this eye look used the Huda Beauty Palette.

Going in with the Huda palette, I started off with Sandalwood making sure to tap off the brush then worked it along my crease, all the way from the outer corner to the inner corner, making sure it is deeper in the crease but blended out upwards. This took a lot of blending and a lot of time. For this I used the Morphe R38 Brush as it is fluffy enough to blend but not big enough to make a mess. Once I was happy Sandalwood was blended out enough and that I had created a crease, I started to use Coco. Coco was the only darker shade I used on the inner and outer corner of the eye. I started off with a MAC 217 Brush and I would tap the product on, lightly patting it in place and then I would use tiny circular motions to blend it out, making sure not to go over the crease. Once I was done with the patting and just wanted to blend a little bit more I would get the Morphe R38 Brush I had been using early just to blend out the edges a bit more so that it would blend into what I had done earlier with Sandalwood. Once again this takes time so you need to be patient. I did this whole process multiple times to build up the colour but then to make sure it blended out.

Once I had built up the colour enough I then started to do the halo effect. To do this I used Bubbly along the centre of the lid, between the two sections of Coco. I only applied it up to the crease colour but I packed it on using my finger and a Real Techniques Crease Prep Brush. This instantly brightened the eye look and made my eyes look slightly wider. I kept packing on the colour and then I would use the Morphe R38 brush from earlier with a bit of Sandalwood on it just to blend it into the inner and outer corner. At first I didn't think Bubbly was bright enough but then I added a bit of Moon Dust to the centre and that really completed the look and brightened it to the level that I wanted it to be at. After that I was happy with my eye lid but I had to tackle my under eye lash line.

I decided I wanted a similar look on the bottom so I applied Sandalwood across the entire bottom lash line, with Coco on the inner and outer parts of the eye. Then in the centre where I had left a gap, I applied a mixture of Bubbly and Moon Dust. To do this I used two small shader brushes: one was the Morphe R43 brush which I used for the more detailed aspects and I also used the Real Techniques Shading Brush for Bubbly and Moon Dust which I didn't need to be so precise with.

Once I was happy with how my eyes looked there was a bit of fall out from Coco so I did need to tidy my face up a little bit but then I got suck in with my base makeup.

Face - Base Makeup

There is the eternal question: which came first, the chicken or the egg? In terms of beauty the eternal question is: which comes first, concealer or foundation? Everyone has different opinions but I always apply my concealer first just because I use a slightly lighter concealer than my foundation and I use my foundation to cover it. As always I am using the MAC Studio Finish Concealer which I use under my eyes and on any blemishes. *Touch wood* but at the time I had pretty good skin so I did not need too much concealer on my spots. I might not have had many spots but I sure as hell looked knackered so I used quite a bit of concealer on my under eyes.

At this point I would usually use either the Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Foundation or Estee Lauder Double Wear but I've run out of both and I am currently testing a different foundation. All will become clear at the end of March but I'm currently trialing the Maybelline Fit Me Foundation. It is a matte foundation, which I like, and I am using the shade 104 Soft Ivory. I don't want to talk about it too much as there will be a post all about it but this is the foundation I used in this particular picture,

Even though the Maybelline foundation is quite matte, I still needed to powder certain areas so I applied some of the Rimmel Stay Matte Transparent Powder to my T-zone to keep my makeup in place. Really this step wasn't necessary as I did not wear this make up out of my house but I did it anyway out of habit.

Normally I would use a bronzer but for this look I wanted to go for something slightly lighter so I used the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow just to give me a little bit of colour and to give me a subtle contour. I really wanted to use this as the sculpt shade has a bit of glow to it and that was exactly what I needed with such a matte foundation, just to give my face some dimension and to not make my skin look so flat. I used this on my cheeks and on my temples just to give a subtle definition, I didn't want anything to take away from the eye look.


Continuing on with the theme of glow, I used the Benefit Gold Rush Blush to add a bit of colour to my face but also to give me a bit of life. I think blush needs to be incorporated into every look so that you don't look as harsh and I love Gold Rush because it adds the colour in such a subtle way but it also has a bit of a shimmer so it too stops my cheeks from looking too flat.

The final base product was my highlight, the finishing touch on my cheeks and I actually used two. I started off with the Becca Cosmetics Rose Quartz Highlight which is a stunning rose highlight with subtle vanilla accents. It is actually quite similar to the Rose Gold shade in the Bar of Gold Trio by Charlotte Tilbury but possibly a little bit more rose. I love this shade and I feel like it fit the look well. On top of that I added a light bit of Benefit's Dandelion Twinkle just to soften it and to add a slightly more icy tone as there was so much warmth in the look already.

Back to Eyes

Once my face was done, really all that was left was the finishing touches, basically my lashes. I started off by curling them with my Shu Uemura Lash Curlers. The pair I have are so old and I should probably buy a new pair but you can no longer gets these in the UK so if you know of a good alternative let me know!

Once my lashes were curled, I applied the Maybelline Snapsacara Mascara which is another incoming review but I will let you know that I do like it. Having completed my Beauty Goal last year which was to try as many mascaras as I could, I now know what it is I like about a mascara and this mascara eventually got there. I really did not like it at first but once it had matured a bit, it was much more workable.

Brows

Once my lashes were looking as good as they could, I moved on to my brows. My brows are wild at the moment and they have been for a while but I can't be bothered to get them done. Plus last time I went, the biisssh cut me! It has really put me off having them done. To try and tame the disgusting beasts I used the Soap and Glory 2-in-1 Archery Pencil to fill in my brows and to create shape. Then to top it off I used the Soap and Glory Archery Volu-Boost Gel to get them to stay in place and to reinforce the colour. I have been using these two products for a long time so if you've read my blog before, I'm sure you will have seen these two mentioned.

Lip 

The final element of the look was the lip and this was a last minute addition. In the original pictures I took for this post, I had no lipstick on but looking back at them I realised I looked ill. This lead me straight to my lipstick stash and that was when I noticed Lolita calling out to me from my Lipstick Pot. Lolita is a Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick and it had been a long time since I used it. Unfortunately you can tell because obviously it has passed its sell by date as it seemed to have dried out a little bit but I used it anyway as I wanted that colour.

This did not apply very well and it dried instantly definitely suggesting it had seen better days. I bought this when I was in America a couple of years ago, before Kat Von D was in the UK so now I can repurchase it much more easily. I don't think I will but I could, if I wanted to. To combat the dry look this lipstick was giving me, I applied some of the Primark x Alessandra Steinherr Sleep Lip Mask to give it a shine and to stop my lips from looking like a butthole. It worked, this lip mask is amazing and I ended up liking the slightly pink tone it added to the lipstick.


And that is the Makeup Behind the Instagram. Having never been too bothered by learning new makeup tricks for my eyes, I was so pleased with how this eye look turned out. It is rare for me to attempt something new and for it to go relatively well first time. Obviously I wasn't a complete newbie when it came to blending and such but I had never gone to that much effort before so I was pleased that the Instagram pictures turned out so well.

I'm never really sure how helpful these tutorial blog posts are because I always need more visuals than I give in these types of posts but I am trying. I really wish I was confident enough to do this in video either on my Instastores, or even Youtube but I'm not that confident. However it is something I want to work on this year. Please let me know in the comments if you found this post helpful and if you would like to see more posts like this in the future.

You might also like:

Makeup Behind the Instagram
Becca Macaron Set
Filmstar Bronze & Glow
Kat Von D Lipsticks
Rose Gold Remastered

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar